Sunday, March 29, 2020

CORONAVIRUS ANOINTING OF THE SICK SERVICE IF YOU ARE ILL OR CARING FOR THE SERIOUSLY ILL




IF YOU ARE ILL, HERE IS THE ANOINTING OF THE SICK SERVICE.  In this time of illness, we have the comfort that we can turn to Jesus Christ. The Saviour was moved by our suffering on earth. Now at this time of Coronavirus, many are called to share in Christ's ministry of compassion and healing. The risen Lord has left us the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick to comfort us in illness, and at times, give us healing. St James recommended that if any among us is sick, to call for the elders of the church and let them pray over us.

The reality is that the Coronavirus has resulted in the lockdown of many churches; priests are unable to go out and minister. Too, due to the danger of passing on the virus, the anointing of the sick with oil is difficult.

So, if you are ill or caring for those who are ill, and do not have the ability to call upon a priest during lockdown, here is a sacrament of anointing of the sick prayer you may use:

If you are ill, pray the following:
"Heavenly Father, giver of life and salvation, 
sanctify my life and grant healing to your sick. 
Grant that I may receive this sacrament of the sick in faith and repentance
and may be made whole, by the power of the Holy Spirit,
through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, Amen."

Make your confession silently to God
Pray the act of contrition:
"O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended You,
and I detest my sins most of all because they offend You, my God, Who are all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your Grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin."
You may visit the Chapel of Repentance:

If you wish to give your life to Jesus Christ, visit the Chapel at the following link:

If you wish to be baptised, and are unable to receive baptism due to current lockdown restrictions, you may undergo the baptism of desire. Pray the following prayer:
"Our Lord Jesus Christ has told us
that to enter the kingdom of heaven,
we must be born again of water and the Spirit; 
and has given us baptism as the sign and seal of this new birth.
Here let me be washed by the Holy Spirit and made clean:
Here let me be clothed with Christ,
dying to sin that I may live His risen life;
As child of God, I have a new dignity
and God calls me to fullness of life.
Dear God, I pray for the baptism of desire,
I pray You grant this baptism to me. Amen."

If you are administering spiritual comfort of the sick in this time of illness in the absence of a priest, pray the following over the ill person;
"Heavenly Father, giver of life and salvation,
sanctify (here put in the person or persons name or names) life (or lives).
Grant that those who in faith and repentance
receive this ministry
may, by the power of the Holy Spirit, be made whole;
through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen."

Then pray:
"May our heavenly Father grant you
the inward anointing of the Holy Spirit;
of His great mercy release you from suffering,
and restore you to wholeness and strength.
May He deliver you from all evil,
preserve you in all goodness,
and keep you to eternal life:
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

If you feel you are soon to go to God, pray the act of contrition to prepare your soul for heaven:
"O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended You,
and I detest my sins most of all because they offend You, my God, Who are all-good and deserving of all my love. 
I firmly resolve, with the help of Your Grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin."

If you see that someone for whom you are caring has gone to God, pray the following:
"Eternal rest grant unto him (or her), O Lord,
and let perpetual light shine upon him (or her);
May he (or she) rest in peace,
Amen."

Prayer for a group of people who have gone to the Lord:
"Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord,
and let perpetual light shine upon them.
May they rest in peace,
Amen."
















No comments:

Post a Comment