Wednesday, March 29, 2017

LENT - TIME FOR RECONCILIATION; OUR SIN MADE US BLIND, AND NOW WE CAN SEE


Jesus Heals a Man Born Blind

Jesus put mud on his eyes, and he could see

As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”
“Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”
After saying this, he spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man’s eyes. “Go,” he told him, “wash in the Pool of Siloam” (this word means “Sent”). So the man went and washed, and came home seeing.
His neighbors and those who had formerly seen him begging asked, “Isn’t this the same man who used to sit and beg?” Some claimed that he was.
Others said, “No, he only looks like him.”
But he himself insisted, “I am the man.”
10 “How then were your eyes opened?” they asked.
11 He replied, “The man they call Jesus made some mud and put it on my eyes. He told me to go to Siloam and wash. So I went and washed, and then I could see.”
12 “Where is this man?” they asked him.
“I don’t know,” he said.

The Pharisees Investigate the Healing

13 They brought to the Pharisees the man who had been blind. 14 Now the day on which Jesus had made the mud and opened the man’s eyes was a Sabbath. 15 Therefore the Pharisees also asked him how he had received his sight. “He put mud on my eyes,” the man replied, “and I washed, and now I see.”

This is a very hands on healing. I mean to say. Jesus spat in the ground, made a paste, and anointed the man's eyes with it.
  Not your everyday kind of happening. He was demanding all kinds of acceptance from the blind man here. The man - no fool - could hear the spit, and the grumbling from his contemporaries as Jesus made a paste.
  Yet the blind man had such trust in Jesus as the Son of David, that he allowed him to place this homemade remedy on his eyes.
  Jesus demanded an action in obedience and trust - to go, shuffling through the constraints of the blindness to wash in the pool of Siloam.
  This man, trusting and full of belief, carried out the order to the letter. And what an amazing miracle - sight, beauty, light, the rustle of leaves, the shadow upon the wall, the gurgle of water cascading into a water jar, unique faces staring back in wonder at him - all these gifts were given to him at the moment of sight.

As this gift is given to us all. How many of us gifted with sight stood this morning and breathlessly watched the sun rise?
  How many investigated the curl of the steam from the kettle? Saw the sweetness of the down upon a duck? Looked - really looked - at our family members and saw the beauty of their familiar faces?
  If we received the gift of sight for but one day of our lives, how unbelievably we would treasure it.
  And me? How does my sight affect me? At twenty one, I nearly went blind. The optician told me it would be a miracle if my sight was not gone by the time I was thirty.
  Thick glasses and painful eyes were my lot. Yet, with treatment, dedicated help from doctors and opticians and the grace of God, I see well today.
  Without my sight I could not do this blog. Without sight I could not minister in this particular way through online chapel to you. 

  Our sight is the most incredible gift ever. Yet our spiritual sight is as important. Our earthly sight may be strong, and our spiritual sight may be blind. Indeed, it is very easy to be blind to our own sin. Until the consequences of our sin become apparent to us in the sufferings we unwittingly cause others, or the grace of God bursts in upon our self-absorption.
  This Lent let us go to the Lord of sight, offer Him our poor sin-blinded eyes, beg for the remedy and paste of repentance, wash at the pool of the forgiveness, mercy and renewal of Christ, and return - sight filled and grace blessed - to the side of the tired Master Who laboured so hard on this earth for our salvation.
ENJOY YOUR LENT!
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY TO HEAVEN!
Chapel of Repentance at
Do you want to receive Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour? Visit

No comments:

Post a Comment